Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Kohlrabi Risotto

Meet the Kohlrabi plant. I discovered it at the farmers market and had never had it before so I thought, what the heck! ...... But what the heck is it?

After some investigation I discovered that name kohlrabi comes from the German word "kohl", meaning cabbage, and "rabi", or turnip. Which it supposedly tastes like. I thought it tasted a lot like a broccoli stalk. I decided to use mine in an Italian inspired risotto. Turned out to be a new favorite of mine! I've never made a risotto before so I don't know if this is the right way, or just the Emily way. Feel free to comment and correct me if I am wrong. 

Kohlrabi Risotto

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 2/3 cup brown rice
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tbs coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 4 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup fresh basil
  • 1 tbs Italian seasonings
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • salt & pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Combine the rice and vegetable broth in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer (for about 20-30 minutes) while preparing the other ingredients.
  2. In a large skillet saute the onion and garlic in 1 tbs coconut oil for 5-7 minutes. Add the kohlrabi, basil, and italian seasonings and continue to cook for about 15 minutes or until the kohlrabi has softened. 
  3. While rice is still cooking, transfer it to the large skillet with the kohlrabi. Add the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper. Continue to simmer until the rice is cooked entirely. 
Kohlrabi with beets-- Mom likes to make them :)
 In other news.... Still enjoying the summer. The boyfriend and I went to Wisconsin to see his family. Got a good 50+ miles of riding done in the hills..... I meant to say HILLS.  About ready for my 1/2 Ironman and then I will be back to the classroom!
Such a beautiful place to ride!
Hope you are enjoying your July!
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment