Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Veggie Fajitas and Mexican Quinoa

My friend Amber and I have this deal going on. Amber is an Esthetician who likes vegan food. I am a vegan... who likes to cook....and I kinda like my face. I cook Amber vegan dinners every week, and she gives me facials :) It's a pretty sweet deal.
This week I decided to do Mexican for Amber because I haven't in a while! Fajita's are hard to mess up. The Mexican Quinoa was an experiment gone terribly right!

Mexican Quinoa

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
  • 1 small jalapeno, sliced
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 tbs nutritional yeast
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella
Instructions:
  1. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Stir in quinoa and bring to a simmer. add all ingredients except nutritional yeast and mozzarella and cover.
  2. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add nutritional yeast and salt and pepper.  
  3. Continue to simmer until all the water is absorbed. Stir in the mozzarella last.

Veggie Fajitas

Ingredients:
  • 1 Spanish Onion, sliced
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red pepper, sliced
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 small stalk broccoli, chopped.
  • 1/4 head of cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, sliced
  • 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne red pepper
  • splash of lemon juice
  • splash of lime juice
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 tbs coconut oil
  • Salt and pepper if desired.
  • 6 small flour tortillas
Instructions:
  1. Heat the coconut oil over medium/high heat. Saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium and cover. 
  2. Cook until vegetables are soft. 
  3. Serve on a flour tortilla with cilantro on top. We had ours with the Mexican quinoa, and guacamole. =)
Sorry about slacking on my blogging. I have been real busy and work has taken it's toll on me. Things haven't been going the greatest- will fill you in more later, but I am hanging in there.  I'm just thankful I have such a wonderful support system- like a coworkers who will send my favorite kindergartner to deliver me a hug and some vegan cookies in the morning.

I also apparently have a guardian angel who likes to leave notes on my car, so I've got that going for me. I guess it's the little things in life :)



 Hopefully I will have another recipe for you in a week or so!
-Em

1 comment:

  1. This looks simple and delicious. I'm always looking for new recipes. I've just started a blog and I'm searching around for ideas for posts. My main focus is educating people to live healthy. I love running and being vegan! Check out my blog if you get a chance. I need all the help I can get to get noticed. forkstofeet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete