Tuesday, November 6, 2012

STL RnR Marathon & The Rest of October

Emilies and I reunited at the RnR expo

Emilies and I after the Race. Emily ZK got second overall with a time of 2:55. Amazing!
October was such a fun month! After the Chicago Marathon I was on a bit of a runners high... especially considering I qualified for Boston. I decided to wait and run the marathon in 2014. I might even be able to get mom and dad on board. I think they are starting to realize what a big deal it is to me! 2 weeks after Chicago, my teammate Emily B and I paced the 4:30 group at Rock n Roll marathon with Michelob Ultra in Saint Louis. We had a BLAST. We even got to see the Emily Z (who we now refer to as Emily ZK since she is now married).

While I havent had the time of day to cook a good meal for myself, I've still managed to throw a few things together for friends. One thing I love about the fall is that soup actually sounds so GOOD. I made this awesome butternut squash and apple soup for my friend Dora.
Here is what I did to make the soup:

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 rib of celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbs coconut oil
Method:
  1. heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot and saute for about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add the squash, apple, and broth. bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for until the squash and carrots are soft (about 30 minutes). 
  3. Puree in a blender and return to the pot. add the spices and you are done!
Hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment