This post is in honor of my baby brother Christoper. =)
Huh?I made this black bean and sweet potato chili for Chris for lunch yesterday. Because really, what's better than sweet potatoes... and black beans.... and chili on a cold day before your brother gets his butt kicked in basic training? Good luck Christopher! See you in January at your graduation, I hope! :)
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- One small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 15.5 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 15.15 oz can chili beans *
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 PBR beer (or your choice)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp basil
- Salt and Pepper
- Sliced scallions, vegan sour cream, vegan cheddar cheese, and tortilla chips (all optional)
I used mild because my mom is a baby and that would have just been too much considering I put a whole jalapeno pepper in there already.
(Cook in the crockpot for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high)
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until just firm. Allow to cool, then peel and slice the potatoes into small cubes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. add the garlic and onions and saute until softened.
- Add the jalepeno pepper, tomatoes, sauce, beans, beer, and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and corn. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Top each serving with sliced scallions, vegan sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chips (optional).
My mom made her Napa Cabage salad to go along with this. It's the best salad! Anyway, this is an awesome chili recipe and I will surely make it again! Until next time :)