Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vegan Pumpkin Lasagna

This recipe was inspired by Sam, who is a friend of my brother Daniel, and a Facebook friend of mine. A couple weeks ago Sam posted a picture of the pumpkin lasagna he had  at some restaurant in the Quad Cities (where he and my brother live). It sounded like such an interesting dish that I instantly I wanted to get my paws on some! Sam explained that the lasagna was layered with pumpkin puree, spinach, and a ricotta cheese mixture. It was served with grilled asparagus. Here is my version of the pumpkin lasagna and served with a side salad made by my friend Amber! I I made a small batch of the lasagna and it was more than enough for 3 ladies.



Ingredients for vegan ricotta cheese:
  • 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 2 tbs Italian seasonings
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder seasonings
Directions:
In a small bowl mash the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, Italian seasonings, and garlic powder.


Ingredients for lasagna:
  • 16 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 tbs coconut oil
  • 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree 
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk
  • 1 tbs dried sage leaves
  • pepper to taste
  • 9 no boil lasagna noodles*
  • 1 cup vegan ricotta cheese (see recipe below in step 3)
  • 3/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups vegan mozzarella cheese

Directions:

  1. In a large skillet, saute the mushroom, 1/2 tsp salt and green onions in coconut oil over medium high heat until tender. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, coconut milk, sage, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper.
  3. spread 1/2 cup pumpkin sauce in an 11 x 7 in baking dish. top with 3 noodles. Top the layer of noodles with 1/2 cup pumpkin sauce, half of the mushroom and onion mixture, 1/2 cup tofu ricotta cheese mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat this process. Top with remaining noodles, Sauce, and cheese. 
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. 


* read labels! Some no-boil noodles contain eggs.

I liked this dish a lot, and I think it's one my family would enjoy as well. I might double the recipe and  make it for Thanksgiving this year in place of the Tofurkey.... I don't know. I'm the only one who ever eats the Tofurkey anyway! Hope you enjoy :)
-Em

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Veganism Community? Our members will appreciate it.
    Members include: Vegans, Veganism Experts, Vegan Lifestyle Advocates, Vegan Cooking, etc.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Articles, News, Photos and Videos if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often as you like.
    The Veganism Community: http://www.vorts.com/veganism/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete