Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chicago Marathon

  
I saw the above poster over the weekend and it made me laugh.Well I definitely do feel a little cooler considering I got my PR in the marathon, which I was expecting to do. What I wasn't expecting to do was to qualify for the Boston Marathon! Last time I looked up the qualifying times I remember thinking, "Hmmm maybe when I turn 45 I could make it!" So I honestly didn't remember what the qualifying time was going into Chicago. I started off holding under an 8:00 pace and kept that pretty consistent until the last couple of miles. My official finishing time was a 3:34:19... which barely qualified me! Whatever, I'll take it! 
Thank you to my friend Emily, "B" for making the drive to the big city with me and cheering me on. And thank you to my friend Jessie for also cheering me on and opening up her home to B and I to stay at. And cooking a lovely vegan friendly meal for us :)
Here are some pictures from my weekend in the big city:


B and I at the expo

Of course I brought wine on the trip. And drank it out of a giant bowl.

I made this poster for the girls to hold up at the race


Met up with Justin post race for lunch!

Tofu Scramble for lunch!
B and I  headed back to Springfield on Sunday after lunch. On Monday I took my little friend Jenna to the pumpkin patch. Yes..... it was hard to kneel down like that! I am still incredibly sore even 3 days post race.  I can't remember the last time I was this sore. Been doing lots of swimming in the mean time. Hoping to get back to running tomorrow or Friday! I can't believe I'm pacing the St. Louis Rock n Roll marathon in just over a week.... crazy.

I haven't decided if I will actually run Boston or not. It would be a once in a life time experience for sure, but also an expensive one. My family doesn't come from a racing background so they don't really understand. I'm actually being encouraged NOT to sign up for Boston because it would be "a waste of money". I feel like most parents would be on board, or even want to come and witness it as well. Maybe I can rope someone else into that adventure.
Have a good week!
-Em

3 comments:

  1. Oh! You should do it! Just thinking about signing up for Boston means you are totally ready! I'm sure your parents will jump on the cheering squad once they see how excited you are. If not you always have us on the internet cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a place to stay today for FREE (with a friends sister)! So I went to sign up just now and it's already closed. God decided for me this year, but now I am determined to go for it in 2014. I'm pretty sure my time is good for 2 years. Thanks for the support! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your qualification! awesome=ness!!!

    ReplyDelete