Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sweet Potato Hummus!

My baby brother, Chris graduated from high school over the weekend! Graduation was Saturday night and we threw him a party on Sunday. He has decided to enroll in the military post grad and I am very proud of him. For his party I decided to make a variation of hummus and served it with pita chips.... it was a hit. My other brother, Dan made some awesome guacamole. Check out the vegan friendly graduation food!


I have been obsessed with hummus since I first tried the stuff. I got the idea to combine two of my favorite things. Hummus + Sweet potato=  One unstoppable force.  I love this stuff!! The hummus is a bit thick because of the sweet potatoes but you can easily make it the consistency you would like.  Also, it's got a little kick :)


Sweet Potato Hummus

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tbs tahini
2 tbs lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and steamed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper*
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1 green onion

Method:
1. Peel and slice sweet potatoes about 1/2 inch thick.  Steam potatoes or  cook in a pressure cooker until soft. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. 
2. While the potatoes are cooking, combine the remaining ingredients, except green onion, in a food processor. Blend until the mixture is smooth.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked and cooled, remove the skin and discard. Add the sweet potatoes to the hummus and blend until smooth. 
4. Garnish with green onion (optional)

*Add warm water or additional olive oil 1 tbs at a time if the hummus is too thick. 
*1/4 cayenne red pepper makes for a fairly spicy hummus- Use 1/4 tsp or omit if you don't want it spicy.


Enjoy!
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment