Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Squashes are Betches

I got to spend some time with my two friends Meg and Mel over the weekend. They had been asking me if I would cook for them for quite some time, and we finally made it happen. 


I for real can't cook a spaghetti squash anymore without remembering this conversation and laughing to myself. 




Maybe you had to be there...
This recipe was modified from one I came across from Bev Cooks. I apologize for the picture... I completely forgot to take one before we started to eat. I'll blame it on the twins. I think they gave me too much wine to drink. :)



Southwest Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
2 Tbs. refined coconut oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (leave seeds in for more heat)

1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1 Tbs. oregano
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup freshly torn cilantro, plus more for garnish
1 tbs lime juice
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese (I used daiya)





Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds (either discard or save to roast later).  Roast the halves face-down on a greased baking pan or sheet for 30-40 minutes, until the flesh of the squash is tender and has separated into spaghetti-like strands.
  2. While the squash is cooking, heat oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, jalapeno pepper and red bell pepper. Saute 2 minutes. Add cumin, Mexican oregano, chili powder and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Saute another minute. Add the beans, corn and cilantro. Stir to combine. Squeeze in the lime juice and give one last stir.
  3. Using a fork, scoop out the spaghetti squash into a larrge baking dish. Add the sauted vegetables and spices to the baking dish and stir. 
  4. Top the mixture with vegan cheese and pop it back in the oven until the cheese has melted.
  5. Garnish with a bit of cilantro and enjoy.
The twins decided they liked vegan food. Mission accomplished :) Hope you are all having a good week. 
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment