Tuesday, May 8, 2012

We had BABIES




Every year the first grade teachers at my school borrow eggs from local farmers and hatch them in their classrooms. On Monday the little babies decided to show their faces. It makes me happy to see these babies but sad at the same time... because we have to give them back. And we all know how that story ends.  =(
Think I could just keep him in the backyard? I mean I do have a fence.
I named this little guy after Tony.. haha. (:  
 
Okay, onto food (certainty not made from cute little babies). I once had sweet potato quesidillas at the Chicago Diner and loved them! I have been wanting to make some for a while and what better time than now? I made these for Cinco de Mayo this past weekend. They were a hit- Even among the cross-fitters. They are so not paleo.


Spinach and Sweet Potato Quesidillas
Ingredients: 
  • 2 tbs coconut oil
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
  • 1/2 sweet Onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup water or almond milk
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tbs dried oregano
  • 1/2 tbs dried basil
  • 1tsp Mexican chili powder 
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • 3 cups fresh chopped spinach
  • 2 cups vegan cheese (I used Daiya mozerella style shreds
  • 4 tortillas 
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Steam potato cubes in a pressure cooker until they are soft. Prep other ingredients while potatoes are steaming.
  3. Transfer the softened sweet potatoes to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Add the 1/4 cup water or almond milk and continue to stir. Last, stir in the the seasonings. 
  4. In a large skillet heat 1 tbs coconut oil over medium/high heat. Saute the onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
  5. Reduce heat to medium/low and add the sweet potato mixture to the skillet. Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
  6. Grease a baking sheet with coconut oil. 
  7. Spread the sweet potato mixture into 1/2 of each tortilla. Top with Spinach then vegan cheese. Fold each tortilla in half and place on the baking sheet.  
  8. Bake for about 10 minutes.  
  9. I cut mine into thirds because I was bringing them to a cookout!
*I thought about adding a sliced jalepeno pepper, but since I was cooking for a large group I refrained. Next time. 
 Have a great week everyone!
 
 -Em

2 comments:

  1. I tagged you in a post tonight!
    http://amy-healthyblogger.blogspot.com/2012/05/q.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh don't the little chicks make you glad you , at least, don't eat meat?! i always try to think about that when i have those sad thoughts like you were....at least you are doing your part!
    and i need to make these quesadillas STAT. thank you!

    ReplyDelete