Friday, April 20, 2012

Ummm.....Bonus!

I decided to go vegan about 18 months ago for ethical and environmental reasons. Since I never liked eating meat anyway, to be honest I wasn't thinking about my own health AT ALL (that's the typical old me). Clearly my way of thinking about nutrition and being vegan has changed. I now would consider myself a vegan for my own health... as well as for ethical and environmental reasons :) I think it's safe to say that these days I am a borderline health nut. I have eliminated most processed foods, refined sugars, and gluten from my diet. I sure can't give up everything though! Things I will most likely never live without are coffee, beer, and wine. If that makes me a weak person, then so be it :)

I thought I would share with you some things I have noticed since becoming vegan. Keep in mind I was only hoping to do something "selfless" when I made this drastic change.
In the past 18 months:

  • I have had tons of energy. I don't feel the afternoon "crash" anymore even though I get up much earlier than I ever did before.
  • I don't feel hungry as often.
  • I used to have a skin disease on my arms. It was nothing freaky just some little bumps... I forget what it's called. Anyway, ALL GONE! :) No more bumps!
  • I also have clearer skin in general. I rarely ever get a pimple
  • I haven't gotten sick... once! Not even a cold. My first 2 years of teaching I had a sniffy/runny nose most of the year.
  • I have more tummy aches!! I am not kidding you... I used to get a stomach ache after almost every meal. My parents (being the doctors they are never took me to the doctor) determined I had a lot of food allergies. My youngest brother deals with the same thing. Now I eat whatever I want and no tummy aches :)
Is this all just a coincidence I wondered? Well, I Googled (duh!) and discovered similar stories from other recently turned vegans! Read here at Gentle World. Anyone else out there who is vegan notice any positive changes like mine?

Just curious :) 
Alright. First triathlon of the year tomorrow. Wish me luck!
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment