Monday, April 23, 2012

Petersburg Sprint Triathlon and Brrrrr!!!

The anniversary of the day I became a "triathlete" was on Saturday. It was a pretty cold morning for the Pioneer Sprint Triathlon in Petersburg, IL. I was honestly more nervous about freezing my ass off than I was about racing! Luckily it warmed up to a tolerable temp (still had to throw on a jacket for the bike), and I managed to get 2nd place again this year. You better believe I was happy with that. Of course... here I go comparing myself to last year. It just makes me feel better just to know I am improving in this sport! Biking is clearly my weakness. My dad feels pretty strongly that I need to work the most on my transitions! Haha.... love him.

Year
300 Swim

100 Pace
T1
Bike
13 mile
mph
T2
Run
5k
Mile Pace
Finish Time
‘11
4:26.6
1:29
1:08
39.06
19.9
48.9
24.34
7:55
01:10:05
‘12
4:07.2
1:22
54.5
38.30
20.3
48.1
21.19
6:53
01:05:39

Some pics from the race. I know... I know it looks warm out there but don't be deceived.
The first 2 pictures were taken from the  Hardy Breed site... thanks guys! :)
Running was my favorite part of this triathlon. Probably my fastest 5K ever.

Group of us who were cooling down together

Nicole and I were 1st and 2nd!
The group above followed this race up with celebratory beers at a hole in the wall in Salisbury! What fun! The next day I was able to get a 5000 yd swim in and a 42-ish mile ride in with Patty. It was still pretty cold out there....


 Because of all the cooler temps this weekend my school was so cold today. I could not get warm all day!! All I could think about was going home and cooking up some really HOT soup! And that I did... It actually turned out to be really good!! 

An old USAT magazine makes for a decent place-mat. 

                                          HOT and Spicy Sweet Potato Soup!
Serves 2-3
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbs coconut oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
  • 1 sweet potato, cubed
  • 1 small tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup almond butter (or another nut butter)
Method:
  1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic with the coconut oil in a large saucepan for about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potato, pepper, and tomato to the pot. Stir in the cumin, ginger, salt, pepper, and nut butter. 
  3. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
  4. Ladle the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. This would taste good garnished with cilantro... but I sure didn't have that on-hand. Next time...
This was a thin soup- but very good. If you want it thicker I would try using 2 sweet potatoes. I hope you enjoy the recipe and enjoy your week! I hope we get the warmer temps back :) 
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment