Sunday, April 22, 2012

Eggplant & Almond Pizza (crust)

For my Dad's birthday he, my mom, and my baby brother came over for dinner. I wanted to make something good and healthy for my dad :) I had the idea to make mini pizza's on eggplant slices (which I will probably still do sometime), but of course I goggled "eggplant pizza" and found out that everyone and their uncle has already had that idea....and some even better ones. This recipe was modified from Stuff I Make My Husband.

Eggplant & Almond Pizza




Serves 3-4

Ingredients:

Crust:
  • 2 large eggplants, shredded
  • Egg replacer for 2 eggs ( I used Ener-G-Egg replacer)
  • 1/2 cup vegan cheese (I use Daiya)
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1tsp dried basil
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • 1tbs coconut oil
Toppings: 
  • tomato sauce
  • 1tbs coconut oil
  • 2 gloves garlic, minced
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 white onion, chopped
  • 8oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 small tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 cup vegan cheese (I used Daiya)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 450
  2. In a large bowl toss the eggplant shreds with the salt while you prepare the other ingredients. This will help draw out some moisture.
  3. Squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the eggplant by pressing into a bowl and carefully draining into the sink. 
  4. Combine the drained eggplant shreds with the egg replacer, almond flour, cheese, flax seeds, basil, baking powder, and coconut oil.
  5. Grease a baking pan and press the eggplant mixture so it lines the entire pan or until it is about 1/4" thick. *
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bottom has begun to  brown.
  7. While the crust is baking, saute the toppings In a large frying pan. First melt the coconut oil over medium heat.  Saute the onion and green pepper for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, and tomato and continue to saute until all the ingredients are softened, but not entirely cooked. 
  8. After the crust is cooked, add the sauce, toppings, and the vegan cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes. 
  9. And... DONE :)
*when I cooked this crust it did stick to the pan a little. You may want to use parchment paper to avoid that problem... or just make that pan extra greasy. 

I will have to make this again! My family... a bunch of non-vegans loved this pizza! Even my brother, Chris, who I refer to as the "vegan hater" inhaled a couple pieces.



Hope you all had a fab weekend! Yesterday was the Petersburg spring triathlon! I will have an update soon, but it went better than expected! :) I think I'm still high on endorphins.... love that. 
-Em

2 comments:

  1. Can another type of flour be used instead of almond? It is so expensive. What about rice flour or bobs red mill GF baking mix? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry but I havent tried either of those flours. I get my almond flour at Trader Joes and it's only $4 for a huge bag! I bet any other flour would work just fine though, honestly. Another way to make this recipe is to use 1 1/4 cup flax seeds and omit the almond flour. Try it and let me know please! :)

    ReplyDelete