Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Veggs

Earlier this week someone asked me what my favorite Easter candy was. Well I didn't really know what to say other than it used to be those darn Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. Afterwards I was unable to stop thinking about the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter in the form of an egg. What's a vegan girl to do?? Make her own... duh!


Although I made this recipe up, I did come across a couple similar recipes when I was trying to figure out what I was doing! Here is one from Elena's Pantry and one from Chocolate Covered Katie.
Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs---Vegan knock offs
They even got a thumbs up from the vegan hater.... 


Chocolate Peanut Butter Veggs

Ingredients:
1/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
2 tbs ground flax seeds
2 tbs oats
1/4 cup almond flour
1 12oz bag of vegan chocolate chips (I use the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips).

Method:

1. Combine the first 4 ingredients into a peanut butter "dough". Try not to eat it.... Form the dough into little egg shapes and place them in the freezer for about an hour. 
2. While the peanut butter eggs are freezing, melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over LOW heat. Keep the saucepan covered. It will take a while for everything to melt. 
3. Once the peanut butter eggs have frozen, use a tooth pick to pick them up one at a time (leave the rest in the freezer) and dip them in the chocolate. Place them on a plate covered in parchment paper and store in the refrigerator... and done! 

Now just cause these eggs are vegan (and lower in sugar) than the traditional Reese's Egg, it doesnt mean you should eat the whole batch at once.  You will get the same tummy ache! Just ask my mom... haha :)

I hope you all had a good Easter weekend. Miki and I went over to my mom and dad's for dinner today. My mom is so cute because she made vegan pasta. Us Italians.... we know nothing else. While I was over there Miki decided to be a punk and run away. Chasing him down the lane didn't feel so great... I am SORE from the race yesterday. 

Speaking of.... race update from the Lincoln Presidential 1/2 marathon to come sometime tomorrow :) I also have the day off, yippee!
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment