Sunday, March 11, 2012

Staying Hydrated

Ever have one of those weekends where you maybe drink a few (more than necessary) beers, or glasses of wine? And then you followed those drinks by a few (too many) cups of coffee in the morning? And maybe if you're slightly neurotic like me, you followed all that up by a 20 mile bike ride and a 3 mile swim? Well that was my weekend... and it was go-go-go. Talk about a headache... literally. To keep my little busy-body hydrated, prefer to drink "Nature"s Gatorade. Wait... nature makes it's own sports drink? what??? I speak the truth.


Yes people...I'm talking about coconut water! Coconut water contains 5 essential electrolytes and also has more potassium than a banana! Bonus, there is no added sugar! That sure beats any other commercial sports drink in my book. Research it yourself. I prefer the ZICO brand but that is mainly because they carry it at Food Fantasies, and sometimes (if I'm lucky) Meijer. Coconut water was definitely an acquired taste for me... and I definitely think it tastes best cold. Luckily, if you don't like the natural flavor, they also make a bomb chocolate flavor! Check out this recovery smoothie I made over the weekend with coconut water: 


Blueberry Kale & Coconut Smoothie
Topped it with some unsweetened shredded coconut.
Mainly did it for the picture, but it tastes good too, duh :)




Ingredients:
1 banana (I use frozen)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I use frozen)
1 tbs ground flax seeds
1 tbs hemp protein powder
2 dates
2 cups of fresh chopped Kale leaves
1 cup coconut water (I use zico natural flavor)
agave nectar to taste


Method:
Blend that baby up in the blender! If its not thick enough for your liking, add a couple ice cubes!




I'm about to get a little off of my blog topic, but aside from all that drinking and working out I had 2 art shows to go to/ set up for! The first one was an art show featuring a few local artists, one being my good friend Jeff. He does some really awesome bicycle paintings and was recently featured in Bicycle Times! I've got one of his prints hanging in my kitchen and sometimes find myself just admiring his bright colors and the interesting angles he uses. You can check out his amazing work at http://www.jeffveloart.com/. I think I'm going to have my 4th graders do some Jeff Williams inspired art. I can't wait.
The art show was lots of fun!
Jeff and I at his art show.. he always makes a goofy face.
The other art show was one the art teachers in my district put on every year for our k-12 students. It's our main event... so it's pretty much what we work towards ALL year! Here is a peak at my hallway:

Hope you all had a good weekend. One more week then I get a much needed break!!
Oh, and try some coconut water!!
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment