Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Almondy/ Flax Blueberry Pancakes for Brunch

Alright, who doesn't LOVE pancakes? They remind me of straight up, sleepin' in, lazy weekends. This weekend Alexis (over at Vegan Miss) and I decided to get together with our friend Roger and his wife, Missy, to cook some vegan brunch. YAY! I love a good smorgasbord of homemade vegan food! :) At first I was overwhelmed with ideas of what to bring, but I decided on some pancakes because:
  1. I've had this almond flour from Trader Joe's for-ev-er.
  2. I've been craving pancakes since the day I made those damn delicious Carrot Cake Pancakes.
  3. Roger and Missy's kids (who I coincidentally teach in school) told me to, "Bring Pancakes!"                            
Almondy/ Flax Blueberry Pancakes

Unlike pancakes made from regular flour, these guys are gluten free, paleo, and packed full of nutrients-- No empty calories here :o)
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2/3- 1 cup milk substitute (I use unsweetened almond milk)
  • 1tbs refined coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbs agave nectar
  • 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)*
Method:
  1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. On a plate, mash the bananas using a fork. Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in the almond milk, mashed bananas, vanilla, and agave. 
  3.  When all the wet ingredients are evenly mixed together, pour them into the almond and flax seed mixture. Stir until the batter is smooth. 
  4.  Gently stir in the blueberries until they are evenly distributed.
  5. Serve with 100% pure maple syrup and vegan butter or margarine. 
* I also made some of these pancakes with vegan chocolate chips for the kiddos. I didn't try them myself, but they were given a kids' thumbs up!

Check out the rest of our kick butt VEGAN BRUNCH!
Cooking...


Ta- Da! My Plate.

Here is what we had, starting at the fork going clockwise: Lexi's Hash Browns, Roger's Tofu Scramble- burrito style, Missy's Buiscuits and Gravy, my Almondy/Flax Blueberry Pancakes, Lexi's Crab Cakes- served over a whole wheat English muffin. 

After swimming 3 miles that morning I was a very hungry girl and ate absolutely EVERYTHING (I know...right?). It was all so good I still don't know which food was my favorite. I really liked the Tofu Scramble burrito because I am a little bit of a ketchup monster (same for the potatoes). The Biscuits and Gravy were fun, because as a non-vegan, I never ate them. I have always thought gravy was scary, artery clogging, and just plain gross.... but hey, not vegan gravy! The crab cake literally was areal crab cake... only vegan! Click here to see the recipe for the crab cakes at Lexi's blog. I liked my pancakes because the nutty/banana flavor they had to them was so good you didn't really need very much syrup AT ALL. 

Hope you enjoyed the food and it inspired you to TRY SOMETHING NEW :o)
Have a fantastic week!
-Em

4 comments:

  1. BRUNCH! ...rocked. We need to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh looks lovely! I have to try that almond pancakes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shout out to you and your amazing pancakes in my latest article: http://bit.ly/XBaRma

    I was beyond excited to find egg free pancakes! Thanks so much for sharing, and please share more! :)

    ReplyDelete