Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Been Thinkin' About Life... & Beets #Pondering

I feel like....

This borrowed body of mine might be completely trashed in the end, but it will surely have a lot of mileage :)

As athletes we are constantly pushing our body to the limit. We overcoming mental and physical obstacles because we want to, actually, we need to. It's a thrill, it's an experience, it's fun, and it's simply LIFE. There is no other way. What is your body capable of? Anything you want.

I've been thinking a lot about life lately if you already can't tell! Certain happenings will do that, and this week there have been quite a few of those for me. Everything is just fine with me though, no worries! :) 

I'm back at work and my staycation was fantastic! I was able to get together with my good friend Emily Z. She and I are probably the biggest busy bodies around here, so this doesn't happen often. I went over to her place and we cooked some burgers and had some beers and got all caught up! Joe (Em's finance) was apparently pretty upset he couldn't be there for dinner because he just loves beets. That's right... these patties are made from 100% pure ground BEETS. Un-be-lievable! Check this out:


Looks a lot like beef... I know. Need a closer look? I was prepared for that...


Pure- YUM.

I kind of fell in LOVE with this recipe I found from the Post Punk Kitchen. I did alter it to make it gluten free and even more packed full of nutrition. I served them on a sprouted wheat bun- but simply omit that for a gluten free meal :)

BOMB Beet Burgers

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups cooked and cooled rice (I used brown rice)
1 cup cooked and cooled lentils, drained
1 cup shredded beets (about 1 large beet)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup almond flour
Coconut oil for cooking. 

1. Grate the beets (I used the shredder attachment from my food processor) to make 1 cup. In a food processor, pulse the brown rice, lentils, and shredded beets until the mixture literally looks like ground beef (minus the pink slime and dead animal and ... woah, sorry).
2. Transfer the beet mixture to a large bowl. Add the salt, pepper, thyme, dry mustard, red onion, garlic, and almond flour. Use your hands to mix everything together evenly. 
3. I chilled the mixture in the fridge for a couple hours while I rode my bike, but I'm sure one hour (as recommended by the Post Punk Kitchen) would suffice :)
4. Form the mixture into 4 large patties. Add 2 tbs coconut oil to a frying pan and heat to medium high. Cook the patties for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until charred at the edges.
Serve with ketchup and on a bun if desired. Em Z and I added vegan mozzarella cheese to make them cheese-beet-burgers :) I also made some fries to go along with. Perfection.  
Hope you enjoyed that one! Also, remember when I had vegan brunch with Miss Lexi over at Roger's house?  Well, she posted her recipe for the  crab cakes on her blog at Vegan Miss. I need to try to make those myself soon because they were phenomenal. 
Remember to fuel your body well people, so you can push it to it's fullest potential! :)
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment