Sunday, February 5, 2012

Twice-Baked Eggplant Rolls

One of my favorite things about being an Italian..... the food! I experimented with this dish over the weekend and it turned out awesome. It reminded me a lot of traditional baked manicotti.  If you are on the Paleo diet, or a soy-free diet you could replace the tofu "ricotta cheese" with this chive ricotta nut cheese. If you try that version, please let me know how you like it! 



Baked Eggplant Rolls


Finished Product
Ingredients:
  • 2 medium eggplants
  • 26oz vegan pasta sauce
  • 1tbs Cooking oil (I use coconut oil)
  • 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (I use Daiya
  • 14oz extra firm tofu
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1tsp dried oregeno
  • 1tsp dried basil
  • 1tsp dried onion powder
  • 2tbs olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1tbs red pepper flakes (optional)
Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice the eggplant into 1cm thick slices length ways. Grease two cooking sheets with coconut oil and arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes.
  2. While the eggplant is in the oven you can make your tofu "ricotta cheese". Drain and press the moisture out of the tofu. Place the tofu in a medium sized bowl and mash the tofu  with a fork (or just your hands like me) until it has the consistency of ricotta cheese. Combine 1/4 c up the Daiya cheese and the olive oil to the tofu and mix evenly. Combine the garlic, basil, onion powder, olive oil, salt & pepper, and spinach to the tofu mixture. TA-DA! You have vegan "ricotta cheese". The doors to the vegan Italian world just opened a lot wider for you and :)
  3. Pour 3/4 cup pasta sauce into a glass baking dish. the one I used is 9 x13in. Place 1 (heaping) spoonful of the tofu mixture onto each eggplant slice. Roll them up and place them seam side down into the baking dish.
  4. Top the eggplant rolls with the remaining sauce, and Daiya. If you like a little kick you for sure need to add the red pepper flakes!
  5. Pop those puppies back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, or until Daiya melts. TA-DA!

There was enough food for 2 (very hungry and active) people. We even had a little bit leftover, so I am assuming it could easily serve up to 4 people. I think Jason told me I "hit the nail on the head with this one". Come one Jas, I always do that. Happy vegan cooking friends!



1 comment:

  1. wow that looks yummy! I think I'll try making this for dinner c: thanks!

    ReplyDelete