Baked Eggplant Rolls
- 2 medium eggplants
- 26oz vegan pasta sauce
- 1tbs Cooking oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (I use Daiya)
- 14oz extra firm tofu
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1tsp dried oregeno
- 1tsp dried basil
- 1tsp dried onion powder
- 2tbs olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1tbs red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice the eggplant into 1cm thick slices length ways. Grease two cooking sheets with coconut oil and arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant is in the oven you can make your tofu "ricotta cheese". Drain and press the moisture out of the tofu. Place the tofu in a medium sized bowl and mash the tofu with a fork (or just your hands like me) until it has the consistency of ricotta cheese. Combine 1/4 c up the Daiya cheese and the olive oil to the tofu and mix evenly. Combine the garlic, basil, onion powder, olive oil, salt & pepper, and spinach to the tofu mixture. TA-DA! You have vegan "ricotta cheese". The doors to the vegan Italian world just opened a lot wider for you and :)
- Pour 3/4 cup pasta sauce into a glass baking dish. the one I used is 9 x13in. Place 1 (heaping) spoonful of the tofu mixture onto each eggplant slice. Roll them up and place them seam side down into the baking dish.
- Top the eggplant rolls with the remaining sauce, and Daiya. If you like a little kick you for sure need to add the red pepper flakes!
- Pop those puppies back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, or until Daiya melts. TA-DA!
There was enough food for 2 (very hungry and active) people. We even had a little bit leftover, so I am assuming it could easily serve up to 4 people. I think Jason told me I "hit the nail on the head with this one". Come one Jas, I always do that. Happy vegan cooking friends!