Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Paleo /Vegan

Since doing CrossFit I have learned a lot about this up and coming diet called the paleo diet. This "caveman" diet consists of foods that can be hunted and fished, such as meat, and seafood, and can be gathered, such as eggs, insects, fruit, nuts, seeds, vegetables, mushrooms, herbs and spices. People who follow the paleo diet avoid foods such as refined sugars, grains, beans, legumes, and dairy. While I am obviously a strict vegan I do not follow the paleo diet, but I do find it interesting how the two can overlap. My brother Daniel (a college student at Augustana College), actually started following this diet recently and lost a bit of weight. He enjoyed coming to my house for some Vegan/ Paleo while he was home for his Christmas break. Okay maybe more like 80% Paleo and 100% vegan.  I'm just glad he has done some research and is being conscious of what he is putting into his body. I made a recipe that is closely related to the Paleo Diet. It involves quinoa, which is a seed, so I am not sure if it would be considered Paleo or not but hey, at least I am trying here. :)


Drinking wine and cooking vegan pizza with Miki. I can't imagine a better way to spend an evening in Springfield.


Quinoa Pizza 




Ingredients:


Crust
  • 3/4 cups dry quinoa
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup filtered water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 c vegan cheese*
  • Coconut oil or cooking spray*
  • Pizza sauce*
Toppings
  • 2 cups fresh kale leaves
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 medium sweet onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup pizza sauce
  • 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese

Method:
  1. You first have to soak the quinoa for 8 hours. Place it in a bowl and fill the bowl with enough water to cover all the grains. Set out on your counter and cover with plastic wrap
  2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a small baking tray with 1 tbs coconut oil.
  3. Thoroughly rinse and drain the quinoa and transfer it to your food processor. Add the water , baking powder, vegan cheese, and seasonings, and olive oil and pulse until the mixture is smooth (almost like a pancake batter).
  4. Pour the quinoa batter into the pan. Spread it out evenly with a spatula and cook 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven and if it doesn't look cooked, as in the dough is not crispy and starting to brown, flip it over and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes. 
  5. While the crust is cooking, saute your veggie toppings in 1 tbs coconut oil for about 10 minutes. Start with the onion and pepper, then slowly add mushrooms and kale.
  6. Once your crust is cooked, spread the pizza sauce evenly followed by the rest of your vegan cheese, and veggies. I did use all of the cheese considering this pizza is fairly small. 
  7. Reduce the oven temp. 350 degrees and bake the pizza for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice it up and TA-DA! This pizza was one of the best I have ever had.
Quinoa crust batter


Finished Product 

I had extra kale so I decided to make Kale chips. To be honest, I didn't like them at all so they went to the dog :P He ate them up.

Miki loves his Kale- hahaha!!


I do have some other (somewhat) Paleo Vegan recipes I plan on posting soon! =) If anyone decides to try this let me know how you like it! 
-Em

7 comments:

  1. I made this pizza and really loved it. My only complaint would be that the crust stuck to the baking tray and was incredibly difficult to get off. I thought I'd greased it thoroughly, but I suppose I'll have to grease it more next time. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Yea, since it's almost like a batter I can see how it could get pretty sticky. I didn't have a problem though. Grease that puppy up :)

      Delete
    2. Not sure why I'm not seeing the comment button so I'll ask my question here. I was wondering why is the crust speckled? Thanks!! :)

      Delete
  2. Am NOW seeing the button. =/ Duh. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I used a red quinoa because that just happened to be what I had in the pantry! If you used the regular quinoa kind it would not look speckled like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that's exactly what I thought! :) I just wasn't sure since it was put into the food processor.
    Thanks!! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Your dedication to providing healthy recipes to others has gotten our attention. We like your awesomeness and invite you to share your culinary creations on our new recipe index site dedicated to recipes such as these, which help to promote health and longevity. For more information please visit our site: www.healthyrecipeverified.com .

    ReplyDelete