Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Valentine's Day Din


Well the boy and I broke it off. It's all good, we wanted different things and are very different people. And maybe both pretty stubborn about it. Who me?? :P

 I've always thought Valentines Day was a pretty silly holiday, BUT I was a little bummed to become single only days before it. Thank God I have friends. My Valentine, Emily Z, came over for the evening. She brought over wine and flowers (Thanks again, Em!) while I did the cooking. We often have dinner like this during the week, but since it was Valentine's day and everything I tried to make things special. I know a lot of people really love this holiday, so this is for all the lovers out there:






Okay yes, I'm the ├╝ber nerd here who thought it would be fantastic to make the tofu meatballs into little hearts. 


I had been wanting to try a meatball recipe for a while now and after browsing multiple recipes I came up with this one. It's vegan and gluten free (bonus)!! 
Italian Spaghetti Squash and Tofu Meatballs

Ingredients:

Pasta:
  • 1 Spaghetti Squash

Sauce:
  • 1 15oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 6oz can tomato paste 
  • 1 tbs coconut oil (you could substitute olive oil)
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 tbs dried basil
  • 1 tbs oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tbs agave nectar, or other sweetener

tofu meat balls:
  • 1 package (14 oz) extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and crumbled
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup corn flake crumbs (you can substitute quick oats)
  • 2 tbs Bragg's Amino Acids (You can substitute soy sauce)
  • 1 tbs parsley flakes
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 2 tbs coconut oil, or other frying oil

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Roast the halves face-down on a greased baking pan or sheet for 30-40 minutes, until the flesh of the squash is tender.
  2.  For Sauce: While the squash cooks, heat 1 tbs coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic  and onion and cook for about a minute. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir in the spices, and salt, pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Stir in agave nectar and red pepper flakes and cover.
  3. For Tofu Meatballs: Combine the tofu, walnuts, cornflakes, Braggs, parsley, and garlic salt. Use your hands to mix the ingredients thoroughly and shape into balls, or hearts, or whatever shape you want :). Mix together the corn starch and nutritional yeast on a large plate. Roll the tofu shapes into the mixture. 
  4. Heat 2 tbs coconut oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Saute the tofu shapes until all sides are brown (about 10-15 minutes depending on size).
  5. When the squash is done, remove from oven and let it sit for five minutes, or until it’s cool enough to handle. Using a fork, scrape the squash flesh out of its skin into a bowl, separating the strands as you go. Top with sauce and tofu shapes. 
When you're a teacher you get LOTS of Valentines.
This was one of my favorites this year. 

Did you celebrate Valentines Day? With who and what did you do? One of my 4th grade students said she ate lots of red jello & strawberry ice-cream for dessert. I about puked in my mouth, but to each their own!
Whatever you did, I hope it was great.
-Em

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, valentine! Those "meatless meatballs" made me change the way I think about tofu. Amazing!!! ...and there were many anesthetists jealous of my valentine's leftovers! ;)

    ReplyDelete