Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm Back in the Loop!


Due to my minor knee injury, I had taken few weeks off of Crossfit workouts. I also had to ease up on biking because that was also a bit painful. No one enjoys taking a break from something they love, but I just had to remind my self that it's still winter and it's okay to "fall off the wagon" a little bit. I met up with Molly, one of the owners and coaches at Crossfit Instinct, on Friday to work on some mobility. I got to learn a lot of new stretches and felt really good afterward. I stayed for an AMRAP (as many reps as possible) workout of pull ups, pushups, and knees to elbows, and avoided any squat type movements. Sunday I went in for another workout. I finally feel like I'm "back in the loop". I had missed the people, the atmosphere, and the quick and intense little workouts.
Back in the Crossfit "loop"! Yay!!
There was a Paleo Potluck being held after Sunday's workout at Crossfit Instinct. Naturally, if food is involved then I'm so in. I decided to roast some veggies and ended up going with a few of my favorite things: beets, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts. I know beets seem like one of those weirdo vegetables.... but seriously... give beets a chance. Besides everyone loved them. 


                           Rosemary Roasted Veggies



Wait, you want a closer look? I knew you would....


Sweet Potato, Beets, and some cute little brussel sprouts. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium sweet potato, cubed*
  • 2 large or 3 medium beets, cubed*
  • 16 oz brussel sprouts*
  • 3tbs coconut oil*
  • 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 1tbs dried rosemary
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine the beets, sweet potatoes, and sprouts in a large bowl. 
  2. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium-low heat until melted. Stir in the vinegar and dried rosemary.
  3. Pour the coconut oil mixture over the beets, potatoes, and sprouts. Using your hands, stir everything up until all the vegetables are evenly coated. 
  4. Spread the vegetables out onto a large baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes (or until the vegetables are cooked all the way through and crispy on the outside). Make sure to stir the vegetables once after about 15 minutes. Serve them warm or cold.
*If you'd rather not give beets a chance, or sweet potatoes, or brussel sprouts.... then try your own favorite things! Just remember the cooking time may be more or less for some veggies. 
* You could sub olive oil for coconut oil and skip step 2. But just remember what I told you about cooking with oils at high heat in my last entry!

Molly has dabbled with lots of vegan/ paleo recipes since I have known her. I was glad to see she brought some vegan dishes to the potluck! I told her I would be posting them on my blog :) Have a look:


Molly's Paleo Summer Squash Soup 

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups organic vegetable broth
  • 2 1/2 pounds cooked summer squash, chopped
  • 3 leeks, chopped
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tbs coconut oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg*
  • 1tsp cinnamon*
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger*

Method:
  1. In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic and leeks until they are tender. 
  2. Stir in 1 cup of the vegetable broth. 
  3. Transfer the mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth. 
  4. Pour the mixture back into the pot an slowly add the remaining ingredients. 

*The measurements for the seasonings is what I would start with. Molly did not specify the amounts so adjust them to your preference! :)

Molly's Paleo "Crack" Bars



Take a long look at that crack because it wont last long.
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 8 tbs coconut oil
  • 6-8 tbs agave nectar*
Method:
  1. In a medium saucepan heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Once the coconut oil has liquefied stir in the agave nectar.
  2. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients. 
  3. Pour the coconut/agave mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is evenly mixed together.
  4. Cover a baking sheet with wax paper. Scoop out the crack and flatten it onto the wax paper using your hands.
  5. Place your crack in the freezer for 10 minutes before consumption. Store your crack bars in the refrigerator (because you don't want anyone to find that shit).
*Molly used organic local honey in her recipe (I personally don't have a problem with a little local honey every now and then), BUT the agave nectar makes this 100% vegan AND paleo :)

Have a good week you cute little Paleo Vegans :)
-Em


No comments:

Post a Comment