Saturday, February 18, 2012

Frozen Run and....Frozen Desserts :)

After having some unseasonably warm temps we were once again hit with a bitter cold in the Midwest. I knew those 60 degree days were too good to last! I wasn't at all thrilled to run last weekend in the well below freezing temps, but I did it. And somehow managed to get an 11 mile run in?? At least the sun was shining and that helped keep me going! I've started logging my miles back into the daily mile. Click on the link if you would like to follow my training and start logging your own workouts!
Bundled up in a zero degree windchill! Eeek!

Last Sunday was my baby brother Christopher's 18th birthday! We had a small get-together for him at my parent's house. I love making food for people so I decided to bring a cake of some sort to share with the family. I've been following this girl's dessert blog that I came across one day. She is a vegan **yes!** and strives to create "healthy" dessert recipes. I don't think I would go so far as to label all of her desserts as healthy, BUT they sure aren't unhealthy. I've tried a couple of her recipes and they are really pretty fantastic. Check out this cookie cake I made for Christopher! I topped it off with some homemade coconut ice cream. It was a hit among my family, Christopher, and his friends! You should also note that Christopher is one of those guys who says things like "I don't want to eat it if it's vegan." So yes, pretty remarkable that he tried the cake and ice-cream, and even admitted to enjoying it.

My brother Daniel and I are serving up some cake and ice cream!

Cookie Cake à la mode....You heard me! Now try it!
Cinnamon Coconut Ice cream 

Ingredients:
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbs cinnamon*
  • 2 tbs agave nectar or other sweetener*

Method:
  1. Empty the can of coconut milk into a dish. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours (I did this overnight). 
  2. Spoon out the clear coconut water that has separated from the coconut. (You can discard or use for another recipe).
  3. Using a hand mixer, whip the coconut slowly adding the vanilla, agave, and cinnamon.
  4. Freeze for 3-4 hours and... TA-DA! Homemade ice cream :)

*I like a lot of cinnamon and used a whole tablespoon. You may want to start with the 1/2 and possibly add more. If you don't like cinnamon try adding something else to your ice-cream, like 1/4 cup of berries or 2-3 tbs chocolate chips! I use the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. They are vegan! Let me know how you like that if you try it.

*If you use regular sugar you may want to use more than 2 tablespoons, as sugar is not as sweet. 




Enjoy your weekend! I get Monday and Tuesday off of work 0:)
-Em

3 comments: