Thursday, February 23, 2012

Carrot Cake Everything..... Except Cake.

It's going to be pretty obvious from this post that I. Love. Carrot. Cake. Since the flavors of a carrot cake are so distinct I figured it wouldn't be hard to make some healthier, non-cake foods, that taste just like a classic carrot cake. I had lots of fun inventing these three recipes with the main ingredients being Cinnamon and Carrots. Miki had a blast too considering carrots are his absolute favorite!!  
Oh.... and just a side note... I'm saving my favorite recipe 'til the end!
Miki, the vegetable monster.

Recipe #1: 
Carrot Cake Smoothie

This first recipe is a variation of the protein smoothie I typically have for breakfast. This smoothie recipe is great because it serves as a good recovery food and it is packed with protein...so it keeps me full all morning!! I run at 5am and don't have lunch until after noon. That's a long morning!! If I don't have my protein smoothie I'm usually starving WAY before lunch... and then I do this :(






Ingredients:
  1. 1 banana (I use frozen)
  2. 1 cup almond milk or other milk alternative
  3. 1 cup shredded carrots
  4. 2-3 pitted dates (I soak mine in water)
  5. 1/2 tbs cinnamon
  6. 1tsp nutmeg
  7. 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  8. 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
  9. 2 tbs raw pecans
  10. 1tbs ground flax seeds*
  11. 1tbs hemp protein or other vegan protein powder* 
 *If you omit the flax seeds and the protein powder this will still taste just like carrot cake. It just may not keep you as full for as long!

Method:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth. TA-DA.

Recipe #2
Carrot Cake Pancakes

Carrot Cake Smoothie didn't impress you? Well how about some pancakes. Seriously, what's better than cake for breakfast? I actually made such a large batch of these pancakes that I had to have my dad come over and help me eat them! This recipe is half of what I made so you should get 6-8 smaller pancakes!


Don't they look awesome???

Well, they were.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1 tbs ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 tbs baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tbs cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1cup almond milk or other milk substitute*
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1tsp vanilla extract 
  • 2 tbs canola oil
  • 3/4 cup grated carrots
  • 1 1.5 oz box raisins
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
toppings:
  • vegan cream cheese*
  • additional pecans
  • maple syrup
Method: 

  1. Combine the flours, oats, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium sized bowl.
  2. Stir in the almond milk, applesauce, vanilla, and oil and mix well.
  3. Add the carrots, pecans, and raisins last and mix until they are all evenly distributed throughout the batter!
  4. Cook on an oiled (or sprayed) pan, on medium, flipping each pancake once.
  5. Top with a small spoonful of vegan cream cheese, more pecans, and of course... maple syrup!

*For vegan cream cheese I use Follow Your Heart vegan gourmet cream cheese. 
* This made a very thick batter. If you want the batter a little thinner you may want to add an additional 1/4 cup almond milk.





Recipe #3
Carrot Cake Bites


This last recipe turned out to be my favorite! The idea was inspired by these German Chocolate Fudge Bites from Katie's vegan desert blog. These cute little Carrot Cake Bites would make a great post workout or after school snack (Yes... I still have an after school snack). This recipe will make 5-6 Carrot Cake Bites




They almost didn't last long enough for the pictures!

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup pitted dates
  • 1/3- 1/2 cup raw pecans
  • 2/3 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tbs cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Topping:
  • vegan cream cheese*
Method:

  1. Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend together well. 
  2. Roll the "dough" into balls and gently  press your thumb into each "dough" ball.
  3. Place a teaspoon of vegan cream cheese on top of each Carrot Cake Bite.

*For vegan cream cheese I use Follow Your Heart vegan gourmet cream cheese. 

If you try any of these recipes I would love some feedback. Sometimes I wonder if I'm such a fat kid that everything just tastes good to me!? I just love food. Have a great weekend and happy vegan cooking!!:)
-Em

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for your beautiful Blog and recipes! Wow! I want to make these delicious juicy recipes!

    ReplyDelete