Saturday, January 28, 2012

In Honor of Football

I'm not a fan of football,  in fact I find it pretty boring to watch on T.V.  BUT I don't mind it as long as I am surrounded by good food and good people :) Jason, (who is not a vegan- or necessarily vegetarian for that matter) loves when I make this. He insists it tastes better than the real thing for sure!  I am posting this recipe in honor of the Superbowl coming up because it's a healthier option than eating meat, and to help save the chicks of course!



That's a whole lot of YUM


Vegan HOT Wings
Served with:
Cool Ranch and Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 1 tsp chili Powder
  • 1tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 8 oz vegan ""wings" (seitan, vegan chick'n strips, or extra firm tofu)*
  • 1/4 c vegan butter or margarine *
  • 1-2 tbs coconut oil 
  • 1/4 c hot sauce * 
Method:
  1. Combine flour, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika in a medium sized bowl.
  2. Coat "wings" in flour mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour- or as long as it takes for you to prep the fries and get 'em going :)
  3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook "wings" for about 15 minutes.
  4. Heat margarine and hot sauce separately on low until warm. Stir together.
  5. Coat the cooked "wings" with the hot sauce/margarine mixture and TA-DA!

product shot

* For the "wings" I have used Upton's Naturals Seitan from Food Fantasies as well as tofu. I prefer the seitan as far as texture goes. You just have to be careful not to let it crumble when you are cooking it! BOTH taste great though :)
*For margarine/butter I use Smart Balance Light 
* For hot sauce I use Franks Hot Sauce

Cool Ranch Dip

Ingredients:
  • 1 c vegan mayonnaise* 
  • 2-3 tbs milk substitute*
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tsp parsley
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
Method:
  1. Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour. BAM. Pure epicness.
* For mayo I used Earth Balance from Food Fantasies
*For milk sub I always use unsweetened almond milk. Also, if you want it to be more of a dip, only use 2 tbs. If you want to use it as a dressing rather than a dip, use 3 tbs!

Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients:

  • sweet potatoes-- as many as your little <3 would like
  • olive oil
  • sea salt
  • pepper
  • corn starch (optional)*
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Slice sweet potatoes into desired size. 
  3. Spread evenly onto a baking pan. Sparingly drizzle with oil and mix 'em up using your hands.
  4. Season with the salt and pepper.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip 'em over and bake another 10-15 minutes. TA-DA
*If you want your fries CRISPY you will need the corn starch and follow this the recipe at the blog The Art of Doing Stuff. I have made them this way and they def turned out bomb---although there is a lot more prep time to consider. 

Well, I'm about to head out for a 1.5-2hr run considering the sun is actually out :) And the temps are above freezing-- I don't think I know what state I live in anymore... 

Hope you all have a FANTASTIC weekend!
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment