Thursday, January 19, 2012

Crazy Weather.... and Noodles.

Greetings to any readers! This is my first ever blog and I'm pretty excited to share it with you. I plan on using it to share my love for vegan  food, and other little ramblings. My goal is to post weekly... I will try my best! If you know me personally you know that a few of my obsessions include triathlons, Miki (my pomeranian), vegan food, and as of lately.....crossfit! As it is winter, I have decided to switch things up a bit by trying out Crossfit Instinct located at Golds Gym in Springfield. I was skeptical at first being an endurance athlete, but it is definitely an amazing workout and FUN!
Crossfit Instinct, Springfield, IL

 Made it to the crossfit gym for a workout yesterday and made dinner with good friend, Ari. I made one of my favorite dishes I call "Crazy Sesame Noodles". I am posting the recipe below. Ari brought over a bottle of yellow tail.... which goes nicely with anything and was definitely finished.





Vegan Crazy Sesame Noodles

Ingredients:
1 Medium spaghetti squash*
1/4 cup Bragg's amino acids (if you want it to be gluten free), or soy sauce 
2 Tbs tahini
2 Tbs almond butter
1 Tbs brown rice vinegar
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs sesame oil
hot sauce to taste
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
1 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup green onion, sliced
1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds

Method
1.Preheat oven to 400. Slice spaghetti squash into halves. Place open side down onto a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes. 
2. While spaghetti squash is cooking in a large bowl whisk together the next 7 ingredients. 
3. When spaghetti squash is done, use a fork to scrape out the "noodles" into a bowl. Coat the noodles with the soy mixture and add in the vegetables. 
4. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve!
*This recipe works well with any type of noodle. I've also made it with rice noodles. 

Running this week has been tough due to the dropping temps. Monday it was a high of 60 degrees (what, in January!?)... and on Wednesday I woke up to a windchill of 6 degrees. Typically I roll out of bed at 4:30AM and am on my way by 4:45 to meet a couple gals who live about 2 miles from me. We typically get in a good 5-6 miles. The only problem with it being cold is that the 2 miles I run to meet them are out in the open wind.... unbearable! I have been driving to meet them in the mornings to run in a wooded area pretty sheltered from the wind- which is great. It also means I have to cut running by about a mile every day in order to get to work on time. I'm okay with it... no races until April anyway! Jason is visiting this weekend so we might try to get in a long run on Saturday. If not I will probably get in about 22 miles at the end of the week.  I've been enjoying my new runners and an awesome pair of mittens I got at the running center recently. No more cold paws! Have a good weekend.
-Em



2 comments:

  1. 4:30AM in snow, cold, and complete darkness - well that takes crazy determination. Spring is right around the corner ;) Keep it up - TG

    Thomas Gerlach
    Professional Triathlete
    www.thomasgerlach.com

    ReplyDelete