Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cauliflower Recipe

Another post already... go me! The boyfriend, Jason, is on his way down from Chicago as I type. He didn't end up leaving yesterday because of a major snowstorm up north, so I have some time to blog. Yesterday was the regular morning run(one below zero... my GOD)  with my regular gals, Patty and Kari. Followed that up with my work day and an easy swim workout ( one mile) at the Fit Club pool. Not sure why I even bothered but it felt good to stretch out the arms nonetheless. My friend Amber came over for dinner and wine. I made some Manchurian roasted cauliflower, brown rice & peas, and we shared a baked sweet potato topped with pecans. I will post the cauli recipe at the end of this entry and... YES! It was Delicious!


Manchurian Roasted Cauliflower

Manchurian Roasted Cauliflower
1 good cauliflower
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs Coconut Oil
Sea salt and pepper
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 x 400g (15 oz) tin of chopped tomatoes OR tomato sauce
Glug of red wine vinegar
Glug of balsamic vinegar
2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar
3 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Chilli powder to taste- I prefer spicy!

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Core, trim and break the cauliflower into florets of even-ish size. Try not to eat it raw like I do before arranging in a single layer in a baking dish. Toss with 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and loads of pepper and roast, turning twice, for 30 minutes.

Fry the onion and garlic in the coconut oil until soft. Add the tomatoes, juice and all, followed by a glug of each vinegar, the sugar and some salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes, until reduced to about a cup. Puree if you like (I did). Stir in the roasted cauliflower and TA-DA!
Made it to CrossFit Instinct this morning for a workout. I feel like I did something to my knee (nothing serious) on the kettle bell swings because I immediately felt it on the run! Rolled it out afterward and it already feels better. Matt, one of the coaches, feels like I am doing too much and should try cutting back on running while I am doing CrossFit because of the pounding. Um- not a chance Matt! besides... when I run I don't "pound" :) I decided to stop at Food Fantasies on my way home and see pick up some Chlorella.


 I have done quiet a bit of research on it lately and originally was aware of it from Brendan Brazier's  Book the Thrive diet. Brazier is a pro triathlete who promotes a plant-based diet.  From what I understand,  Chlorella provides all of the dietary-essential amino acids in excellent ratios and more than 20 vitamins and minerals (iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, pro-vitamin A, vitamins C, B1, B2, B2, B5, B6, B12, E and K, biotin, inositol, folic acid, plus vitamins C, E and K). It also keeps your body's PH in check and fight's against cancer. I found a lot of info from the following websites:
http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chlorella.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/008527.html
http://www.brendanbrazier.com/vega/index.html


I put 1tsp in my breakfast protien smoothie and it made it look like this:


If anyone out there uses this product I would love to hear what you think about it! The chick at Food Fantasies told me she uses spirulina instead because it tastes better. From what I understand a lot of their benefits overlap. 
In other news... logged onto the USA triathlon site to renew my membership and was congratulated for qualifying for the USAT Age Group National Championship Triathlon in Vermont. Being new to tri's, I have no idea what kind of achievement that is, but I will just pretend it's a big one :) Well, that's all I've got for today. The remainder of my weekend will most likely include rest, cheat meals, beers, masters swimming, and Jason. 
Cheers,
Em


3 comments:

  1. Post your recipes up on VegWeb. It will benefit promoting your blog quite a bit. Check out Vegan Miss' recipes on there to see what I mean (I credit with a link to my blog in the sources section). Just a tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Lexi! I do have an account there so I will have to upload some recipes. I'll be honest, I made your chicken salad recipe last night because I just happened to have everything on hand. My boyfriend loved it!! :) Thanks

      Delete
    2. No problem. I think it's really worth your while if you want to promote your blog. Most of my traffic comes from VegWeb. If you go look at my chick'n salad recipe on their website, you'll see at the bottom where sources are as an example of how I do it. They never mind that I link back to my blog and all the admin's are very friendly about whatever you may need/want.

      Glad you both liked it! It's super simple and easy. :]

      Delete